Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing

Post subject: March 10
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:25 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Tempts hit 47 today, :smack: . I haven't been out riding since Saturday but from what I have seen from the roads the areas out of the woods are taking a beating. I heard about 6 sleds today so hopefully someone can give an update.

Post subject: Re: March 10
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:14 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Wow, 47! I was headed up Thursday, hopefully it sets up some, the lakes must be covered in slush ?!? Anybody help with conditions ??

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

I rode 106 miles today from the Black River Valley to northeast Tug Hill, Barnes Corners, down to Copenhagen, and over to Carthage. No lake riding of course but also much lower elevations. Based on my observations I don't think much melting has taken place yet. The temperature is forecast to drop with high on Thursday only 30° in LP so I think conditions will be OK for the rest of the week. Even though some rain/snow/ice pellets predicted on the weekend it is not going to be real warm and probably will be OK. Looks like temps head back down beginning of next week so conditions might actually improve as snow settles. Hope to be in LP this weekend to do some riding.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:32 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Observations from the street melting definitely taken place in the open areas but plenty of snow in the woods. Hitting 45 today so that won't help. Heading out this a.m for a quick ride around the area . IMO riding will still be good this weekend in most areas around here.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:00 am 

fogexp, yes, please post conditions from your ride today, lakes especially. thanks.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:36 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

The only lake I was on was lake pleasant and I didn't notice much slush. I didn't do a lot of miles but from the local trails I was on they were good ( tree farm , Perkins clearing, silver hill trail ) a couple of bare spots in the open areas but for the most part it was nice riding. Note I was done by 11:30 so can't speak for late afternoon conditions. As of now tempts at 46 degrees , if we get a ton of traffic this weekend conditions will go downhill fast IMO .

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:00 pm 

Today my son and I rode out from Lake Pleasant, down Powley Road, through Stratford and out to the Salisbury Clubhouse. The morning was pretty good - some of the road riding was a bit rough but survivable. We then headed north on the switchback trail, up to Mosquito Hill, out to Hoffmeister, and then dropped back down to Powley Road before heading back to the Oxbow for a snack. By the end of the day the trails were getting pretty thin - particularly between Route 10 and the 'Bow and then between Oxbow and Sacandaga. It's so soft that skis are sinking through the snow and plowing rather than riding over the snow. Provided things set up a bit tonight, some grooming may help take the ski tracks out - but not much more. Rocks are starting to show up - snapped a few studs off the track and I'm afraid to look at my carbides. Absent the groomer towing a snow making machine .....

Regardless, Powley Road is still incredible - particularly when you can ride it just wearing a polar fleece. We're going to roll north tomorrow - am curious if anyone knows what the condition of the blue mountain trail is at this point. We'd like to hit Newcomb but I shiver thinking of what the condition the Indian Lake trails and the Blue Mountain trail are like.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Everything is still passable. If the Crow Hill Road shelf is still intact (which it is), it's still riding season here. Anything near a road or on a strong southerly exposure will be skunky, but the shady stuff in the woods is holding up fine.

I saw lots of kids riding their sleds after school today.

Darrin

Get to the ilsnow.com home page and subscribe to my newsletter. It's the fastest way for me to quickly inform people on news regarding snowmobiling. Subscription is FREE and I will never give or sell your email address to putrid spammers!

Image Image

Reach thousands of snowmobilers:
Become an advertising partner with ilsnow.com

Direct ALL advertising queries to: ilsnowcom@gmail.com

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:12 pm 

Unfortunately, from what I've seen today, the connector trails between the major attractions (Powley Road, Indian Lake, Perkins, Lake Pleasant) are getting pretty well whipped. I guess it all depends on how much abuse you want to put your sled through. Lots of bare spots, rocks, and mud. Connector from Elm Lake Road to Route 30 - rough as all get out (not groomed in a while) but reasonable cover, 2MFH - lots of rock, upper Perkins bypass trail - brutal, inner Indian Lake trails - dirt, snow, dirt, water, and rocks, Melody Lodge trail out to Perkins - not bad from the Melody side trail north but up to there, tough going. Elm Lake Road is pretty sweet, don't know about south toward Wells but is likely pretty good. We rode out Mud Lake Road from Perkins and it was outstanding - as was the rest of Perkins. LP DPW was out clearing trees - but have not groomed in Perkins for several days. Despite that, it remains good. Lake riding is pretty wicked at this point given the frozen track channels and ski ruts - hang on for your life. We chose not to venture out past the Bear Trap but based on what we saw just getting to that point, I can only imagine what the Blue Mt trail is like at this point.

Your best bet in to trailer up to Perkins or out to Powley and enjoy what's there. Trying to get to either of those locations using the trails from standard departure areas (Spec Ballfield, the Oxbow) is at your own risk.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

A lot of trailers in the lots yesterday for a Thursday.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 am 
Veteran Member

On our way up now. Any word on lakes?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:16 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

My GUESS is extremely hard with last nights cold temps.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:47 am 

Lake were firm Thursday. Rode Oxbow, Pleasant, Sacandaga & Indian lake. No slush. We did 165 Miles

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:29 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

I rode around Delta Lake (Rome) yesterday. Hard and no slush. So I would say lakes in higher elevations should generally be good.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:56 am 
Veteran Member

Hard is the word. Trails and lakes are rock hard. Lots of overheating.

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing