Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing

Post subject: A good ride ?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:05 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Friends in from Maine for the weekend, guys that think nothing of 150 miles in a day, granted they have BIG trails up there. Was going to send them out of Perkins down to C8 and over to Piseco, then C4A, C4 and S46A to C4H then down into Ohio. (The Ohio Tavern is not on the snowmobileny.com map, will they have any trouble finding it?) Then to come back, I was thinking down toward Cold Brook and pick up C4 back through Stratford and up the Powley Road, past Spy Lake to Oxbow. Am I sending them on a good route, too long, too short for a day ?

Post subject: Re: A good ride ?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:32 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

I would send them the other direction say to Indian lake then down to inlet. The first ride your thinking of would be a tad long with no real fuel stops almost the entire ride. Caseys in oxbow is the only fuel heading south towards Ohio hotel. Although I did that run about two weeks ago and it was good the fuel thing is always in the back of your mind and I always take two saddle tanks with me. Maybe send them towards newcomb out of Indian lake which I have never done but see things on here that sometimes good sometimes a little ruff. Now this weekend in speculator is the lions club poker run so traffic may be a little increased.

Don't forget about Team Bill (RLAG)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:56 am 

There is gas at the Salisbury Ridgerunners clubhouse. There is gas in Dolgeville too. You can also get gas at the Stewarts in Poland.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:09 am 
ILSNOW Freak

Solids, was thinking about an "indian lake loop", Indian, Newcomb, Long, Raquette, Big "T", back to Perkins, maybe too long for a day?, and was worried about the Inlet/Old Forge permit issue.
They will have tanks, I'll show them both and let them decide, thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 am 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

If it wasn't for the Old Forge permit issue a good long loop would be Speculator- IL- MRP- OF- North/South Lake- Nobbleboro- Morehouse- Piseco

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:17 am 
ILSNOW Freak

jat wrote:
Solids, was thinking about an "indian lake loop", Indian, Newcomb, Long, Raquette, Big "T", back to Perkins, maybe too long for a day?, and was worried about the Inlet/Old Forge permit issue.

I have done the loop you speak of many times. Leave perkins clearing at 9am through indian lake to newcomb, double back and head to long, raquette, stop at daikers for lunch then through MRP to Indian lake and back to Perkins for around 5pm. maybe 175 miles. Great ride. Gas never an issue with plenty of choices. Hope they have a great ride.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 am 
ILSNOW Freak

r u going to as a guide ?? if not might take them longer to find trails.do they run radar in maine like MRP

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:31 am 
ILSNOW Freak

I do believe town of Webb permits do not apply to corridor trails. Corridor trails are part of the NYS trail system not town of Webb. My ride suggestion was more about ease with a bit less signage confussion for people that are new to the area.

Don't forget about Team Bill (RLAG)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:50 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

Triggerhappy wrote:
jat wrote:

I have done the loop you speak of many times. Leave perkins clearing at 9am through indian lake to newcomb, double back and head to long, raquette, stop at daikers for lunch then through MRP to Indian lake and back to Perkins for around 5pm. maybe 175 miles. Great ride. Gas never an issue with plenty of choices. Hope they have a great ride.
I did this a couple of years ago but MRP then up to Raquette ,etc. MRP-Raquette trail should be better now. I didn't intend to to that much and I had a 2 hour delay in IL while Adk Sports replaced my rear idler bearing. To bad they are out of business. No place to get a snowmobile fixed in Indian lake. Got home at 10 PM or later. I think it was 173 miles from my house at the west end of Sacandaga. If trails are fairly smooth this wouldn't be that hard/long because you can zip along on the lakes and a lot of the trails like MRP. Gas in IL, Raquette before 5PM (at least when I was there) and Long Lake. I think Raquette is only 87 octane. Call the store.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing