Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing

Post subject: Any die hard avail?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:17 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Any die hard riding left? Maybe perkins? :dead horse:

Hygear custom shocks

Hunnys sled..2004 MXZ 600HO Adrenaline. Down one tooth on top gear, rage cages 200/320 primary spring, Cyberdyne water and air temp gauges. ( Coming back to life this year ) )

Post subject: Re: Any die hard avail?
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:06 pm 
Veteran Member

Im waiting for some pictures....lol any updates?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

I'm headed to Perkins in the morning.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Fill us in when you get back :)

Hygear custom shocks

Hunnys sled..2004 MXZ 600HO Adrenaline. Down one tooth on top gear, rage cages 200/320 primary spring, Cyberdyne water and air temp gauges. ( Coming back to life this year ) )

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:21 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Perkins is definitely rideable. We did about 50 miles. Started at Mason Lake rode down C4 to Military Rd to Carpenter Hill Rd to Mud Lake Rd back out to C4 down to the south entrance. U turn back on C4 to Military Rd again back down Carpenter Hill Rd to Mud Lake Rd then took trail off Mud Lake Rd back to C4 and back to Mason Lake parking lot. Watch out for few trees down and a few washouts!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:47 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Awesome, thanks. Did you cross the lake or take the shoulder?

Hygear custom shocks

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:54 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

58 miles today. Loop starting at west end of Sacandaga, across lakes to Speculator, gas up, head north, main trail lots of bare but passable, over to Wolf Hill, LP10, turn right at JRR, out S82C to Mason, up to Lewey Lake, back in Mason Lake Rd. to JRR, right at T, back to Sacandaga via JRR, Big Brook, Fawn Lake. Overall pretty nice considering the heavy rain we had. Everything is hard as a rock. Walk right on top of snow in the woods. Some sections of road/trail are flat, others not so smooth. Icy base especially Perkins roads. There are definitely some washouts, trees and other blowdown, be careful.

. Brantingham Snomads http://www.brantinghamsnomads.org
---------------------------------------------------------------KC2WI

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

I assume the river trail is a no go? Can I get to Perkins from the firehouse, or should I just park at south end of Perkins or mason lake?

Hygear custom shocks

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:29 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

We did not cross the lake. Shoulder has plenty of snow

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:02 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

If you park in Spec, it will be passable but scratchy in spots going north but you can get there. Road/trail is good from Mason or the parking lot on LP10 south of the pig.

River trail is still flooded, ice but not solid. It is definitely a no-go so you can't get to Cave Hill, Silver Hill, Hatchery Brook, Wolf Hill, LP10 the shortest way from the ball field.

Lakes are hard as a rock even at the edges. What was about 5 feet of open water few days ago at the little drainage stream coming off my front yard is now solid ice that didn't budge when I rode across. Same thing with the formerly soft edges at Moffits, Mountaineer, and Spec. beach. Lake Pleasant has a little loose snow, Sacandaga is more wind-swept with alternating bare ice and snow patches.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:47 pm 

I sent the men out today and cleared trees on fawn and big brook trails. very big mud hole on big brook trail and a lot of ice on fawn lake trail. Perkins trails were cleared also today. hard as a rock with little lube out there.. next couple of days not looking good either but some hope for next weeks outlook of storms...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:45 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

I went out today, got to Mason Lake around 10:15. Sorry, I dont know trail names very well. Upper Perkins was icey, especially the corners. Trail out towards Pillsbury was actually quite decent with a couple burned up spots. From Pillsbury I took the lower loop trail that ends up on lower Perkins. This wasnt too bad as well, two VERY rough spots where the streams cross, and got very sketchy getting closer to the PC road. Didnt try Nicol vly. Main PC road was burnt right up on the lower end, but improved near the T. I thought about trying to cross 30 and get to the tree farm, but decided against it once I saw the lower portion of the PC road. Very happy I went out, but Im sure the days are numbered. IDK if it can handle another rain. Plenty of snow around, but trails are hard as a rock and minimal lube. Could probably drive a truck in the woods. :smack: All in all, a good day and Im glad I went, but that might be it unless it snows up there. Saw a handful of people, one group had a young'n with them out for his first trip. :dance: Beautiful day for it.

Hygear custom shocks

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:33 pm 
ILSNOW Hall of Famer

I was out most of the afternoon. Did not keep track of miles. Combination riding and snowshoeing.

Headed in to Perkins via Fawn Lake/Big Brook before noon. Found the trail had been freshly "groomed." by the town. Groomed in parenthesis because the snow is so hard that the drag didn't do that much cutting and not much could be done on the washouts because there was no loose snow to pull in, but it did help reduce the bumps ion some spots. Big thing was, all the trees were cut out.

Also appeared there were fresh groomer tracks on the road so evidently they also came in from Rt. 30. The JRR in particular was all ice so any actual grooming was minimal but presumably they removed all the trees. I only went to Carpenter Hill Road and in a ways, then went snowshoeing, so I can't really give an extensive Perkins condition report.

Went back out the same way I came in but instead of Fawn Lake, turned right on the Willis trail out past the airport to Fall Stream, then to back and out to Oxbow via Fall Lake, then back to Sacandaga.

No grooming or tree clearing on the Willis trail (Piseco). Oxbow trail (Pleasant Riders) really not groomable due to washouts. Can be ridden through/around but there are trees down causing major blockage.

Later, went to Speculator and back for gas. Lakes solid but at both Moffit and Speculator beaches there are ridges due to the ice expanding during the last couple of below zero nights and below freezing days.

Most places I rode the base is still pretty good except for the washouts and if it were to stay cold with a half a foot of heavy snow we'd be back in business.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 am 
ILSNOW Freak

Whoever was in Perkins doing trail work didn't have a skid. They were just driving the groomer cutting up the downed trees. DEC was also in there with a couple guys. Wondered if they were looking around to decide if it's time to throw in the towel.

Hygear custom shocks

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:13 pm 
ILSNOW Freak

Freestyle, we must have been crossing paths for two days, even headed back to Camp when I saw fresh tracks coming from heaven. If it weren't for the runoff...............!!!!

Sled Dog, the guys did a nice job, their help was welcome after stopping so often to move hazards on sunday.

Mud Lake road will be shot after this rain, JRR may make it another weekend for the diehards, but it will be like riding on ST-30 when it refreezes.

Board index » Trail Reports » Speculator/Perkins Clearing